Are you going to replace your roof? If so, you’re facing an exciting opportunity to transform your home visually and functionally. However, if making a decision about your roof fills you with dread, this is the blog for you. As roofing experts, we’ve had a lot of experience matching roof colors and materials to homes, and we want to share some of the key points that may make your decision a bit easier.
What Elements Impact Your Roof Color Choice?
- The Architecture. Depending on how your home is designed, a certain color might suit it better. You need to know how big you want your home to look. Just as with clothes, light roofs make homes seem larger, and dark colors make homes seem smaller. Knowing if you want your home to look bigger or smaller can be a good starting point in your decision.
- The Climate. Did you know that the color of your shingles can change your attic temperature by 40 degrees? As you may guess, this has a big impact on heating and cooling your home. Lighter shingles deflect more light and can keep homes a bit cooler in hot climates. Dark shingles absorb light and can help homes stay warm in cool climates. If you get snow, dark shingles can help melt ice and snow by being warmer.
- Your Goal. Do you want to make a statement? Do you want to change the temperature of your home? A general understanding of what you want from your roof can make a huge difference when you’re trying to figure out how to move forward. If you want to make a statement, we can show you unique roof colors that you’ll love! By the same token, if you want to tone your home down, we have colors for that, too!
- Your Neighborhood. Some communities have homeowner associations or subdivision rules that dictate what colors are acceptable. They do this because neighborhoods look better when homes don’t clash. If your community has rules, check-in with them, and make sure your chosen color aligns with the requirements.
- Your Home’s Construction. Roofing looks better when it echoes some color found on the walls. Whether you have stucco, wood siding, bricks, or unique trim on your home, we can help you select a roofing color that coordinates well. For example, if you have a gray or blue house, you might really love the look of dark gray or black roofing. A brown house will shine with cream and brown shingles. Other colors like yellow, red, or green, are more flexible and can align with black, brown, or gray.
- What is Available. Not all colors of shingles may be available in your area. We can show you which colors are available in Edmonton – just contact us!
Whatever color and material you choose for your new roof, it won’t matter how great they are if they aren’t installed correctly. Make sure you get a roof that will last. Turn to Sargeant’s Roofing in Edmonton for world-class roofing services today!